Asked Questions.


Are there any restrictions to your library music?

Other than 1) selling our music outside of the library, 2) claiming ownership of the track or 3) using the track in more than one project, there aren't any other restrictions! You can read more about our licensing and take a look at a sample on our "License" page.

What music file types do you provide?

By default, all our tracks come as high-quality .WAV files, available for immediate download after purchase. If you need the file type to be in a different format, you can drop us an email and we'll be happy to assist.

Are there any refunds if I do not need what I purchased?

Once you have purchased and downloaded a music file, Melodise cannot offer a refund unless an error has occurred. If you are experiencing a problem with your transaction, please contact us here or email us directly at

I've bought the song but I can't find the audio file and license.

Upon successful payment, you will be redirected to a "Transaction Successful" page which gives you two download links – Your music file(s) and your license(s). These download links are sent to the e-mail address registered with your account. If you do not receive either of these download links, please email us and we will sort it out for you. For future convenience, you can add to your address book.

What about public performance rights and cue sheets?

To ensure our composers are compensated by the relevant Performing Rights Organisations (PROs), cue sheets must be completed for productions with public broadcasting, such as TV, radio, film, advertisements, and theatrical productions. If you are unsure of whether your project falls in the category of public performance, you may contact your local PRO for more assistance. You can refer to our Music Glossary below to help identify your relevant PROs.

Do you guys accept card payments?

We're all good with Paypal and credit cards. Our purchase store uses Stripe as our main payment gateway, which supports VISA, Mastercard and AMEX.

For Paypal transactions, you'll be re-directed over to the Paypal checkout page. If you do not have an account with Paypal, you can still "Continue Checkout" and punch in your credit card details from there.

Will I need an account to purchase your tracks?

No, registration is optional for purchasing any soundtracks. However, the download links within your invoice email will expire after 72 hours. In order to access your downloads again, you would have to create an account to view your Purchase History.


What is Production Music?

They're primarily written in-mind for film, picture or animation usage. “Stock music” and “library music” are more commonly used to describe music that has been written and prepared for visual use. The company licensing these music has already negotiated with the copyright holders, meaning no further permission is required from its composer or other publishers and record labels.
Most music libraries will require you to fill up a usage form, to ensure your licence covers all the rights you need. Whether you’re working on a project as a director, co-writer, or a producer, you may want to make sure that you’re clear with your licence coverage.
Melodise issues commercially-cleared licences that will cover the music you’re using for global multi-platform use and distribution in perpetuity. Click here for a closer look at our licensing.

What is Commercial Music?

This term covers all kinds of commercially available music, from The Beatles to Bee Gees, Stevie Wonder to Adele. This music would have been written primarily to be listened to, rather than synchronised with picture.
Usually, set fees are not fixed for these commercial music, as rates are negotiable between the producer and the right holders. However, the more well-known the performer and track, the more it will cost to acquire the rights.
The CTEA amended the Copyright Act by extending the term of protection for works currently in their renewal term from 75 years to 95 years. Under the new law, any work published in 1923 (which would have otherwise fallen into the public domain on January 1, 1999), will now be protected until January 1, 2019.

What about Bespoke Music?

Pre-scoring and Post-scoring are two commonly terms that are commonly known to writers who take up custom scoring projects. This is music scored exclusively for your production (think of it as a personally-tailored suit). It can be expensive and there are no fixed rates so it’s a question of agreeing on a fee.
We provide music consultation for bespoke requirements, talk to us for more details and assistance!

What is Royalty Free/Buyout Music?

This term is used to describe the type of library which allows you to buy music and then use it as much as you like in productions.
It is important to read the small print to know the limits of where the production can be used and distributed.

Melodise offers Royalty-Free Music in the Library unless specified otherwise by your project team.

Cue Sheets

A cue sheet is a record of every piece of music used in your project, and it includes details of the title, composer, publisher, record label and duration to enable the broadcaster to report the music use to their collection society. It is within the scope of the producer’s responsibility to submit the cue sheets to their respective broadcasters. Each program is usually treated as a part of the broadcasting license agreement. Do note that there may be fines/penalties imposed by the broadcaster should there be any non-compliance. If you are a producer for a project, you may want to enquire about the terms used in cue sheet reporting with your local broadcaster.


An underscore is a track without a leading melody/tune. In certain projects, an underscore may serve as background instrumental so that it removes any musical distraction that may happen in-between heavy voice over, dialogue or effects.

Our tracks can be modified to provide you with an underscore version.


Stems, unlike musical tracks, are grouped instruments that provides the flexibility and choice to editors while working on a project. Other jargons such as stings, bumpers and hits – are terms that describe short variations of a track (usually below 8 seconds) that can be pieced together accordingly to form a lead score.

Performing Rights Organisations

The Composers & Authors Society of Singapore Ltd (COMPASS) is the Singapore collection society responsible for licensing the public performance of musical compositions, on television, online, in shops, pubs, clubs and concert venues. Other societies known collectively as Performing Rights Organisations (PROs) collect in other territories:

WACP in Malaysia

FILSCAP in Philippines

WAMI in Indonesia

VIETRRO in Vietnam

JASRAC in Japan

CASH in Hong Kong

IFRRO in China

Europe & Others

ASCAP or BMI in the US

SACEM in France

GEMA in Germany

PRS in the UK


Can I use your tracks to produce my own album?

As long as the music is used for a product that is not marketed as a musical product, we're cool with it. However, if your musical product is intended to generate revenue for you, or promote yourself as an artist, then there'll be an issue with the usage.

What are Synchronisation Rights?

A sync right gives you the clearance to sync that musical composition to your project. This license can be obtained from the publisher of the music you wish to use. A sync right is required for any type of music you are using in your project.
The only exception to this is music that is under public domain (usually where the composer has died more than 70 years ago). A dub/master licence covering the sound recording of the musical composition is still required if you wish to use music in public domain.

What are Public Performance Rights?

This is the right to make a public performance of the music in your project. On most occasions, the broadcaster in each territory is responsible for this right. The broadcaster will negotiate a blanket licence with the collection societies responsible for the composition and sound recording in their respective territory/country. Do note that in US alone, there are at least three collection societies.
According to the Copyright Ordinance of Composers & Authors Society of Singapore Ltd (COMPASS), one should seek permission from copyright owners prior to the public performance of copyright music. Provided that the copyright owners are members of COMPASS or its affiliated overseas Societies, one must obtain licences from COMPASS and pay royalties in order to perform their works.

What are Dubbing Rights?

Also known as Master rights. This right gives you the clearance to dub the sound recording of a musical work onto your project. Usually owned by the record company who commissions the recording, the sound recording copyright can be recognised by the symbol “?”.
Do note that most music rights are obtained separately – towards the composition, and towards the sound recording.

Incidental Inclusions & Parodies

When a piece of music is created, the composer is naturally awarded the right over how the work is used. This is known as copyright. Any music that is used in your project has to have its copyright secured.
The term “incidental inclusion” refers to sound recordings in your project . It can also be music that is audible on the soundtrack (background, lounge, outdoors etc.) In a case where international sales are anticipated, consideration should be given as to whether works deemed incidental for broadcast requires clearance for foreign jurisdictions.

Content ID

YouTube's Content ID allows creators to identify when videos incorporate their content, whether it is visual or musical. This will allow YouTube to advertise on the video that's involved with the Content ID program in order to generate revenue. It's a revenue stream that allows YouTube to cater it's free video sharing service to hundreds of millions of users.


What should I do with the sync license?

By keeping a copy of this license, it'll give you permission to sync the music onto any visual you'd like - personal, or commercial. Do you have a short film in mind? A 30 second commercial? Or a YouTube vlog? From home video projects to advertising commercials - our license covers that project in perpetuity.

What is a sync license?

A synchronisation license is a right that is provided to you, by the writer's consent. With an issued license, that means you're cleared to use our music to sync with your video!

Are we allowed to cut up the music?

Sure! You can stretch, loop or shorten the track any way you like to fit your videos. If you require assistance for certain parts of your edit, you can hit us up for a song modification.

Can you modify a song I purchased from another library?

Unfortunately, we only offer song modifications for in-house tracks. If you require help to look for something similar on our music library, let us know and we can work something out!

What happens to the sync license after the modification?

A new sync license will be issued to you every time a modification project is completed. These licenses will include the modified track's version, name and date, so you'll be covered regardless of whichever version you're using for the final cut.

What is a song modification?

It's a micro-editing service that we provide on top of our library tracks, where we delve into the music layers to work with the audio. We treat our song modifications on a per-project basis.

What does a song modification do for my project?

Every project has it's own unique requirements. From first to final cut, we'll edit our music accordingly to give you a soundtrack that's seamlessly integrated into visuals.

Unresolved problems?